When I was a young girl I couldn’t wait to start experimenting with makeup. I cannot remember the exact year or date that I first wore makeup but I think I was around the age of 17, when I was near the end of my high school journey (and this meant I could get away with it without my parents giving me the side eye..lol). I started wearing tinted glosses, minimal eyeliner and mascara. Come to think of it these were all items I may have snatched from my big sisters Louise and Lori (don’t come for me guys…lol. It’s all in the past).
Playing in makeup has always been fun, and to me it was always more of an extension to my love for creating. My love and use of makeup never came from a place of insecurity and it has never been because I felt that my beauty depended on it. I just totally loved it because it somehow gave me a chance to express different parts of myself through color and loads of neutrals as well. However, that doesn’t mean that I do not love and accept my natural skin. In addition I have been making a more conscious effort to wear less makeup and embrace a fresh faced look more often than not, rather than covering it up with any foundation or face powder. I much prefer to just use lipstick, highlighter and be done. So today if I was asked whether I prefer a fresh faced look or full face makeup I would respond by telling you that I’d rather wear my fresh faced look 24/7 but hunni when I slay, I SLAY!!!
Here are some tips on how I unveil and maintain beautiful flawless skin:
- Hydrate your body – I hydrate my body by drinking a lot of water. Not fizzy water. Not flavored water. Not coconut water (so good tho). Just pure, clean, clear, crystal water. Might I add that the commonwealth of Dominica where I call home has the best tasting natural water you can find on planet earth. I’m not saying that the other options shouldn’t be consumed at all but I believe that we shouldn’t replace pure water with these substitutes. Bottoms up guys!
- Stay away from carbonated drinks– high sodium levels tend to age skin and cause you to feel more dehydrated, cause puffiness and the appearance of dull skin.
- Reduce your intake of fried foods– fried foods can contribute to heart disease, poor circulation of the blood and a weakened metabolic process. Since healthy skin requires healthy circulation and metabolism, weak systems can lead to a lack of oxygen in the skin, slowing the collagen and elastin syntheses necessary for youthful radiance.
- Reduce sugar intake– sugar can overload the insulin pathway and accelerate aging of the skin.
- Consume lots of fruits and vegetables– Eating more vegetables and fruit contributes to deepening the natural yellow or red color of the skin. The study has established that changes to skin coloration make people look more attractive and healthier.
- Make your diet high fibre– Fibre helps to improve the circulation of blood, keeps it thin, and improves the supply of oxygen and nutrients to skin cells, thus improving your skin’s appearance from the inside out.
- Use a sonic powered facial cleansing brush– sonic powered brushes are less abrasive on the skin and helps to deep clean, prep skin for better absorption of products and unveils overall radiant glow.
- Use a Konjac Sponge– best for daily gentle exfoliation. This small product goes a long way in revealing lovely flawless skin.
- Use a deep cleansing facial wash– a deep cleansing facial wash will help to breakdown makeup build up and oil. It will assist in clearing up clogged pores that may cause unhealthy looking skin.
- Facial Steam– you could do this at home or book an appointment at the spa. What ever method you decide upon your face will definitely thank you.
- Use Facial Mask– I have been using bentonite clay as my facial mask lately. It give a really great cleanse and helps to unclog the pores. If you do not have this clay you can pick up a mask at your local drug store or supermarket. There are various types of mask which can be used. It depends on the type of results that you are looking to achieve.
Minimize, Hydrate, Moisturize
- Use a pore minimizing product– larger pores tend to create the appearance of unhealthy and uneven skin. By using a pore minimizer this will create the appearance of more radiant youthful skin. Something as simple a witch hazel works well. You can pick one up at your local drug store or supermarket. You won’t regret this step.
- Hydrate your face after cleansing– use a hydrosol or a facial oil that can add hydration to dry, tired skin.
- Moisturize your skin– maintaining youthful radiant skin has a great deal to do with keeping it moisturized. Appropriate moisturization will help in alleviating a lot of the issues we face with our skin like, occasional pimples also uneven tone.
- Always splash cold water on your face– every morning, night and during the day I make it a habit to splash cold water on my face. This helps to minimize pores and refresh your skin. Plus it feels great!
- Clear up blemishes and dark spots by using natural products such as cocoa butter or shea butter. Researching about other products that are effective in clearing up blemishes will also go a long way.
I hope this post has encouraged you to appreciate and love the skin you’re in even more. Please feel free to share your radiant skin care routine in the comments section. Here’s to more radiant, glowing, beautiful skin!