It’s the 4th day of June, which means that we have officially entered the 2018 hurricane season. As much as I do not want to think about this because of the experience I had last year during the passing of hurricane Maria, I must get prepared and stay alert.
Every hurricane season we are encouraged via the media about the various essentials that we require in the event that we are hit by a hurricane. However, not so much about post hurricane survival essentials.
I remember my parents always being busy getting prepared, packing things away, buying dried goods and a host of other pre-hurricane preparation activities. I would sometimes think what all the fuss was about because usually nothing ever happened. However, my eyes were opened last year when we were hit by hurricane Maria and now I understand what all the fuss was about. I would wonder what are you all going crazy about? Now I understand why my parents never took a hurricane warning for granted because they had experienced hurricane David which was also a category 5 hurricane.
So now that I’ve experienced and survived a category 5 hurricane, I now understand why they would always spring into action at a hurricane warning/watch. Needless to say I will never take the weather for granted again or have a laid back attitude toward hurricane preparation. From now on I will be like my parents and go ‘crazy’ as well! Lol.
However, through my experience I observed that we were not prepared for living post maria on island. There are several essentials that you require after a hurricane that we didn’t even have a clue we needed. I’ve had to use solar lights and chargers for the last 8 and a half months! Phew!!!
Here is a list of essentials I think are must haves to live post hurricane based on my own experience:
- Solar powered lights
- Solar chargers
- Mosquito repellent (for some reason the mosquito population quadrupled)
- Clove oil (flies were everywhere and drove me crazy)
- Water purification tablets
- Buckets with covers for collecting water
- Drum for storing water
- Boxes of bottled water for drinking
- Water filters
- Stock up on fuel (gasoline/diesel)
- Baby wipes
- Disinfecting wipes
- Sunscreen (I got like 3 shades darker post maria because the sun was so hot & all the shade trees were gone)
- Peppermint oil (drive the flies away)
- Toothpaste and toothbrushes
- Card Games (so you don’t get bored out of your mind)
- Boards Games (same as above)
- Satellite phones (if possible)
- Batteries (various sizes)
- Pain killers
- Some cash on hand
- Sleeping bags
- Tea light candles (for your oil warmer)
- Oil warmers
- Bath soap
- Laundry detergent
- Laundry bar soap
- Canned foods
- Crackers and other dried foods
- Toilet Paper
- Paper towels
- Vegetable seeds
- Fruit seeds
- Drink mix (dry)
- Muscle rub
- Hand sanitizer
- Cooking cylinders (keep extra on hand if you are able to)
- Safety matches
- Pepto bismol
- First Aid Kits
- Safety gloves
- Dust masks
- Latex gloves
- Hiking boots/Construction boots
- Transistor radio
- Female Care packs (sanitary napkins, tampons, wipes etc)
I know I have not exhausted the list of items that may be needed for survival post hurricane. Therefore, if any come to mind just list it in the comments section so that I can take a note of it and also other readers can as well. It will be significant as this will aid in making someones life better in one way or another for survival post hurricane.
Love and light.